[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.2/2.0 coexistence guide?

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Thu Dec 9 17:31:38 EET 2010

Tom Talpey wrote:
> On 12/5/2010 2:25 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> It's also safe to run v1.2 and v2.0 in parallel, even accessing the
>> same index files.
>>

> So, I just installed 2.0.8 on a separate server and deployed a test user
> or two.

Out of interest, Tom, (thinking about migrating from v1 to v2
ourselves, as well as migrating the maildirs to new hardware) what did
you do next?

Did you leave both servers up (that v2 can co-exist and use the same
indexes is quite a promising route for live-migration), and let v2
'look' at the v1 mails?  I think this would mean that only Dovecot 2
would need to be reconfigured.

Or did you move the v1 mails across to the v2 server (and if you did
that, did you have any problems)?  Moving the mails also implies
reconfiguring the MTA as well, I think, so this step isn't only a
Dovecot reconfiguration issue.

Be interested to hear what you did.

regards, Ron

(copy; apologies, hadn't sent to list)