[Dovecot] load increase after upgrade to 2.0.8

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Dec 10 02:54:36 EET 2010

Mark Moseley put forth on 12/9/2010 12:18 PM:

> If you at some point upgrade to >2.6.35, I'd be interested to hear if
> the load skyrockets on you. I also get the impression that the load
> average calculation in these recent kernels is 'touchier' than in
> pre-2.6.35.

This thread may be of value in relation to this issue:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/eb5cb488b7404dd2/0c954e88d2f20e56

It seems there are some load issues regarding recent Linux kernels, from
2.6.34 (maybe earlier?) on up.  The commit of the patch to fix it was
Dec 8th--yesterday.  So it'll be a while before distros get this patch out.

However, this still doesn't seem to explain Ralf's issue, where the
kernel stays the same, but the Dovecot version changes, with 2.0.x
causing the high load and 1.2.x being normal.  Maybe 2.0.x simply causes
this bug to manifest itself more loudly?

This Linux kernel bug doesn't explain the high load reported with 2.0.x
on FreeBSD either.  But it is obviously somewhat at play for people
running these kernels versions and 2.0.x.  To what degree it adds to the
load I cannot say.

--
Stan