[Dovecot] extra fields with "passwd" userdb

Willie Gillespie wgillespie+dovecot at es2eng.com
Sat Dec 11 00:07:45 EET 2010

Patrick McLean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/12/10 01:30 PM, Kui Zhang wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> It is is possible. You just need to replace the.
>>
>> maildir: prefix with mdbox:, for  mail_location, for each one of the
>> test mail boxes.
>>

> Thanks for the reply, although I am not sure you understand the
> question. I know what I need to do, I just don't know how (syntax to use
> in the dovecot configuration file) to change the mail_location on a
> per-user basis with the "passwd" userdb backend.

I am no Dovecot expert, but maybe you could add a passwd-file userdb
alongside your regular userdb.

Then for the users you want to test with:
user:password-ignored--will-use-passdb-instead:1000:1000::/home/user::userdb_mail=mdbox:~/Maildir

See <http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile>

The thing I'm not sure about is which order you should list your userdb
sections in the config file such that "passwd-file" takes precedence
over "passwd".

Willie