[Dovecot] Question about "slow" storage but fast cpus, plenty of ram and dovecot

Javier de Miguel Rodríguez javierdemiguel at us.es
Sun Dec 12 21:26:27 EET 2010

Thank you very much for all the responses in this thread. Now I have
more questions:

     - I have "slow" I/O (about 3.5000-4.000 IOPS, measured via
imapsync), if I enable zlib compression in my maildirs, that should
lower the number the IOPS (less to read, less to write, less IOPS, more
CPU). Dovecot 2.0 is better for zlib (lda support) than dovecot 1.2.X..

     - I understand that indexes should go to the fastest storage I own.
Somebody talked about storing them in a ramdisk and then backup them to
disk on shutdown. I have several questions about that:

                 - In my setup I have 25.000+ users, almost 7.000.000
messages in my maildir. How much memory                 should I need in
a ramdisk to hold that?

                  - What happens if something fails? I think that if I
lose the indexes (ej: kernel crash) the next time I                 boot
the system the ramdisk will be empty, so the indexes should be
recreated. Am I right?

                 - If I buy a SSD system and export that little and fast
storage via iSCSI, does zlib compression                         applies
to indexes?

     - Any additional filesystem info? I am using ext3 on RHEL 5.5, in
RHEL 5.6 ext4 will be supported. Any performance hint/tuning (I already
use noatime, 4k blocksize)?

     Regards

     Javier