[Dovecot] adding servers to director_mail_servers

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 13 15:02:05 EET 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-11 at 13:14 +0100, Cor Bosman wrote:
> Is there a specific order in which one has to add servers to director_mail_servers, Let's say I have 20 loadbalanced director servers (I dont, but for arguments sake). I want to add 5 servers to director_mail_servers.  If I do this by restarting each director server 1 by 1 with an updated conf, it seems the 5 new servers dont get added. Or at least I dont get what makes it work eventually. Only after restarting a few times they seem to all want to agree on the new list of servers.

Well, the way it should have worked is that you add it to previous and
next director's config in the ring and restart those two (or maybe only
one of those needed the restart, can't remember). The rest of the
directors anyway don't care about them because they aren't directly
connected to them.

The previous/next server is determined by IP address. So each server
always connects to the server with the next highest IP address (the last
one wrapping to lowest IP address).

It's of course possible that there are bugs in this. And yeah, it should
be easier to do this. Maybe a new doveadm director command for adding a
new director.