[Dovecot] Migration from UW-IMAP

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Tue Dec 14 16:15:32 EET 2010

On Dec 14, 2010, at 12:41 AM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:25 PM, Daniel Senie wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to test out dovecot on a server on a separate IP address from the live, functioning UW-IMAP. I am having mixed results with dovecot. An entirely new account that's never been used with UW-IMAP seems to work fine, but that's really not the point of the exercise.
>>
>> If I try changing over an existing account to use dovecot, I get a variety of issues. Testing with Apple Mail.app, if I synchronize the account, the INBOX stops displaying. So off to plan B, and debug via command line commands.
>>
>> I tried connecting to Dovecot. It was able to list the mailboxes for me. I asked for status on INBOX. Sometimes I get an error back in the IMAP stream, sometimes not. Either way, the log shows complaints about creating mail/.imap and below (we use mbox format, plus /var/mail/%u for inbox).
>>
>> I have active namespace compatibility recommended by the Wiki so that clients specifying "mail/" and clients not specifying an imap path both work. With the test account, I proved this functionality is working.
>>
>> At this point I clearly have some issues, and could use some help figuring out what to ask for help with, i.e. how to proceed to debug this without damaging the existing UW-IMAP setup in the process. The goal is to cut over to dovecot once I can be sure it really is working compatibly, but until then I have a large user base and can't blow everything up.
>>
>> And yes, I really, truly have RTFM (i.e. read the Wiki, the troubleshooting pages, the migration pages).
>
> Please supply output of:
> dovecot -n

Follows, with a few items XXX out that needn't be public.

# dovecot -n
# 2.0.8: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.4.21-57.ELsmp i686 CentOS release 3.9 (Final)
auth_username_format = %Lu
disable_plaintext_auth = no
listen = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
mail_debug = yes
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
mmap_disable = yes
namespace {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
  separator = /
}
namespace {
  hidden = yes
  list = no
  location =
  prefix = mail/
  separator = /
}
namespace {
  hidden = yes
  list = no
  location =
  prefix = ~/mail/
  separator = /
}
namespace {
  hidden = yes
  list = no
  location =
  prefix = ~%u/mail/
  separator = /
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
ssl_cert = </usr/share/ssl/certs/XXXXXXXXXXX-cert.pem
ssl_key = </usr/share/ssl/certs/XXXXXXXXXXXX-key.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
protocol pop3 {