[Dovecot] question about snarf plugin in dovecot 2

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Wed Dec 15 16:12:36 EET 2010

On Dec 14, 2010, at 4:46 PM, Tom Lieuallen wrote:

>> After these changes, snarfing doesn't work for me, either straight or UW
>> optional style. Either way I try it, when I connect, it creates an empty
>> ~/mbox file but does not snarf my inbox into it. My mail client
>> (thunderbird) doesn't see any messages at all in my inbox. I remove the
>> snarf namespace and change my mail_location back and my inbox is, of
>> course, back. Note that I have all the UW compatibility namespaces in
>> there.

> Once I do that, I see that the plugin does load.  And now it no longer creates an ~/mbox if it doesn't first exist.  Then again, it now panics, so perhaps that is happening before getting to the point of creating the ~/mbox file.  Since the panic is happening just after reference to .../var/run/dovecot/empty, I'm wondering if it has something to do with that directory.

I can tell you that my config looks a little different and snarfing works. I have no need for optional snarfing. My mail_location qualifies the full path to the file where I want the mail to go. So it looks like:
mail_location = mbox:%h:INBOX=/gpfs/inbox/%Ju/%u:INDEX=%h/.dovecot2.0.2

Namespace wise, I have:
namespace Snarf {
prefix = ~~Snarfbox/
location = mbox:/var/empty:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%Ju/%u:INDEX=MEMORY
 list = no
 hidden = yes
}

and finally:
plugin {
snarf = ~~Snarfbox/INBOX
}

I have not figured out my problem with using the IMAP status command.

1 status inbox (messages)

-Jonathan