[Dovecot] namespace and list=children inconsistencies

Holger Mauermann holger at mauermann.org
Thu Dec 16 02:38:23 EET 2010

Hi,

after setting up a new Dovecot server with shared and public namespaces,
both with hidden=no and list=children, I see some inconsistency in the
folder listing.

. NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) (("Shared/" "/")) (("Public/" "/"))
. OK Namespace completed.

. LIST "" *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "Shared/user at do.main"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Shared/user at do.main/INBOX"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "Public"
. OK List completed.

. LIST "Shared/" *
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "Shared/user at do.main"
. OK List completed.

. LIST "Public/" *
. OK List completed.

With LIST "Shared/" the other users INBOX is missing, so with namespace
capable clients like Thunderbird it is impossible to see or subscribe
this folder.

The "Public/" namespace has some subfolders, but only for other
acl_groups and I don't have rights to access any of them. So the LIST
"Public/" looks good. However, with LIST "" * it is shown without the
trailing slash and with \HasChildren where it should be hidden.

Here is the relevant doveconf -n output:
namespace {
  list = children
  location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/shared/%%u
  prefix = Shared/%%u/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = shared
}
namespace {
  list = children
  location = cydir:/var/spool/imap/public:INDEX=~/public
  prefix = Public/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = public