[Dovecot] Problem with expunge

Jeff Mitchell jeffrey.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 23:15:25 EET 2010

I'm running Dovecot 2.0.8.

The other day I tested doveadm expunge on a test Inbox with a few
messages received over the course of a day, and using savedbefore <a
few hours>, and it seemed to work.

However, today I was testing converting some maildirs over to sdbox,
and noticed odd behavior: it's deleting all messages in the specified
folder instead of just the ones matching the condition I'm using
("savedbefore 4w").

The command I'm using is "doveadm -Dv expunge -A mailbox Trash savedbefore 4w"

Because of the conversion, all of the ctimes for all of the files are
actually the same (basically, a few minutes ago), due to the
converstion to sdbox from maildir, so I would expect that either it
doesn't delete any of them or looks inside at some header of the mail
(half of which was received/placed into Trash before 4w ago and half
of which wasn't). I definitely don't expect full-on deletion...

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Jeff