[Dovecot] trying to make cmusieve happen globally

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:45:08 EET 2010

In Dovecot 1.1.11 cmusieve is apparently integrated in the Ubuntu 9.10
package "dovecot-common" since the files are there.  I am wanting to
right now just do a very basic test of the setup to see how it runs
before doing more sophisticated steps that could obscure any errors or
bugs (e.g. unit testing).

So I took the following example sieve script from the wiki1 documentation:

require "fileinto";
if header :contains "X-Spam-Flag" "YES" {
  fileinto "spam";
}

and recoded it to skip the test and just always do the fileinto step like so:

require "fileinto";
fileinto "spamtest";

Then I configured my dovecot.conf file (via dovecot-postfix.conf it
really points to) by setting:

protocol lda {
        mail_plugins = cmusieve
        mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda
}

and:

plugin {
        sieve_global_path = /etc/dovecot/sieve-global.d/spam.sieve
}

I manually compiled /etc/dovecot/sieve-global.d/spam.sieve so there
also exists /etc/dovecot/sieve-global.d/spam.sievec in the same
directory.  Then I restarted both Dovecot and Postfix.

Mail is being delivered, but still only to the same place it always
has.  The filesystem shows these sieve files are not being accessed at
all.  I've read documents http://wiki1.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve and
http://wiki1.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve/CMU to come up with this.  But it
just doesn't seem to be happening.  So I guess it is a good thing I've
broken my testing down into smaller units.  Anything standout that I
misinterpreted about the documentation?  If not, I can post the whole
config files (in case there is a conflict with something else I have
done).

FYI, I'm only trying to do a global sieve, not per-user sieve scripts.
 I'll tackle per-user stuff at a later date, after the global is
working.

--
sHiFt HaPpEnS!