[Dovecot] Question re: storing non mail files via IMAP

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 4 01:36:24 EET 2010

On 3.2.2010, at 23.49, Charles Marcus wrote:

> I have a question regarding how dovecot might behave if a mail client
> (like, for example, Thunderbird) decided to store some of its config
> files on the IMAP server itself.

Some webmails already do that, IIRC something used ".name-of-that-webmail" mailbox for its configs.

> Would there be a decent way of doing this with dovecot that wouldn't
> cause problems for other clients that didn't know about these files?

Well, it would show up as a regular mailbox..

> Maybe there's a way to define a special folder that dovecot knows about
> at the top level of each users mail location that can be used for this
> kind of thing?

You could create a hidden namespace and mailboxes under it would be visible only to clients that actually try to use the namespace. Of course, there would have to be some way of knowing if server supports this or not..