[Dovecot] Problem in sharing mailboxes across users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 10 22:10:25 EET 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 20:47 +0100, Rampage wrote:
> >> as you can see the shared folder is listed but something seems to be
> >> wrong in the path.
> >>

> > I don't see anything wrong.
> >
> mhhh maybe it's an issue in thunderbird 2 that can't manage this?
> couse actually in TB i cant see the shared folder.. or well, i can see
> it in the subscription management, but i can't subscribe to it and i
> cant access the content.
> everything works fine when talking with the imap server directly.

Well, subscriptions aren't necessary in any way. You could just disable
subscriptions from TB completely and you should be able to access the
mailbox.

But, anyway, if you can't subscribe to it, that's the problem. And
looking at your dovecot -n output again, I do see a problem:

> namespace:
>   type: private
>   separator: /
>   prefix: INBOX/
>   inbox: yes
>   list: yes
>   subscriptions: yes

Your primary namespace has INBOX/ prefix..

> namespace:
>   type: shared
>   separator: /
>   prefix: shared/%%u/
>   location:
> maildir:/var/utenti/%d/%%n/Maildir:INDEX=/var/utenti/%d/%
> n/Maildir/shared/%%u
>   list: children

And here you don't have subscriptions=no, so it tries to create the
subscriptions to the remote user's Maildir. Either it fails, or it
modifies the other user's subscriptions. Neither is very good..

So you really should have subscriptions=no for the shared namespace. But
then you'll also need to create a namespace with empty prefix where the
subscriptions actually are saved to. I don't much like the INBOX/ prefix
in any case, so I'd just use:

namespace private {
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
}
namespace private {
  prefix = INBOX/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  hidden = yes
  list = no
}

So that the INBOX/ prefix still works for those people who already have
configured it to their clients, but others would be using the empty
prefix. That'll also fix the shared subscriptions.