[Dovecot] revision control on maildir possible?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 16:43:43 EET 2010

On Sunday 14 February 2010 11:26:17 Markus Beyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to put a dovecot managed maildir under a
>  vcs like system, for example git or bzr. I'd like to have a seamless
>  history of all mail going in and out of my mailboxes, so a vcs like system
>  seams a good choice for me. I'm not quite sure however if that would cause
>  any problems to dovecot and what the best way of handling commits would
>  be.
>
> If anyone on the list got any pointers regarding this, it would be much
>  apprechiated.

If thats not a secret, what is the reason why you can't be sure of things with
just attaching a trusted timestamp header for each mail? Someone could edit or
delete those mails? Well, if you'd be using a LDA like maildrop, you could
easily just call some bash script or direct command to make a new commit as
your VCS provide... After each newly arrived message. (I don't know about
moved / deleted messages hooks!) But... That is quite a heavyweight solution.
Can there be any other reason to use it than because someone could delete or
change a mail without your knowledge?