[Dovecot] Dovecot design-question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 17 02:03:18 EET 2010

On 16.2.2010, at 18.49, Werner wrote:

> I'm currently running Tests for concurrent delivery via dovecot-deliver to
> a mailbox on a nfs-share with postal. And so far, i did not notice any problems
> when incoming SMTP is directed via LVS to two Mailservers which in parallel
> drop messages with dovecot-deliver to the users mailbox and updates dovecots
> index.files (btw. dovecot 1.2.10 in use, mail_nfs_storage = yes, mail_nfs_index = yes).

How heavily were you stress testing it?

> The only thing I've found so far:
>
> Feb 16 17:33:46 cmx2 postfix/pipe[24221]: DD3F118A22A: to=<werner at example.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=3.4, delays=0.75/0/0/2.6, dsn=4.3.0,
> status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2010-02-16 17:33:43])

That looks like exactly the kind of error I was talking about. Looking at Dovecot's log would show what the internal error was.

> Any notes/annotations from you guys ? Why don't I experience NFS/Index-issues?

They're not that common. With the mail_nfs_* settings Dovecot tries to avoid them. But with heavy enough load they'll keep happening randomly.