[Dovecot] Courier->Dovecot Migration Issue

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 18 17:07:15 EET 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 11:31 -0500, Tony Rutherford wrote:
> > The last three entries exist in the Courier IMAP file, but NOT the Courier
> > POP file.  The resulting dovecot-uidlist format is different, but to be
> > honest, I haven't been able to find the exact specification for the format
> > of the dovecot-uidlist file (if it exists).
.-
> During the migration, it appears that the emphasis is placed on
> maintaining the Pop3 message sequence...at the cost of possibly changing
> IMAP UIDs.

Well, with v1.1+ it's possible to preserve both POP3 and IMAP UIDs (each
line is <IMAP uid> P<POP3 UIDL> :<filename>). I guess the script doesn't
merge IMAP and POP3 messages well enough. Feel free to fix the script ;)

> Here's a question though.  If the dovecot-uidlist file is deleted (for
> whatever reason), it gets rebuilt by Dovecot.  But, how does it get
> rebuilt?  It does not appear to generate uids based on the date of
> messages...I believe that to be true.  Is there any flag/option in
> Dovecot to build the uidlist file based on message date (uids ordered by
> date)?

The added mails are ordered by their filename. The filename typically
begins with timestamp of when the message was received, so it's
practically in the same order as mails were received.