[Dovecot] auth processes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 18 17:17:26 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 08:16 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> With 1.0.15 my configuration I a single dovecot-auth process, which is what I
> want now.  Since upgrading to 1.2.10 I have two such processes:
>
> root     16992 16990  0 Feb15 ?        00:00:00 dovecot-auth
> root     16997 16990  0 Feb15 ?        00:00:00 dovecot-auth -w
>
> I can't seem to tweak dovecot.conf to get this down to one auth process again.

Are you using passwd/pam combination? The second process is "auth
worker", which does blocking passdb/userdb lookups. The v1.0 behavior
was causing bugs.

> Given my IMAP user load, I know for a fact that I should only need one auth
> process, and for that matter, given my load,

Currently there's no way to avoid that, except if you switch from PAM to
e.g. shadow. v2.0 stops idling processes after a minute (but there are a
some other new long running processes, and also it looks like that
idle-stopping isn't currently working for some reason).

> running all the dovecot processes
> from inetd is even a valid option, although I've not yet attempted that.

That won't help anyway. You'd still have the same processes.