[Dovecot] 2nd REPOST: mbox vs maildir

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Feb 18 19:21:05 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> location = mbox:~/Mail-Archives
>
> (the :LAYOUT=fs is unnecessary, because it's the default with mboxes
> anyway.)
    Made the above change as you suggested.  That turned my namespaces into:

namespace private {
    separator = /
    prefix = "mail/"
    location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
    inbox = yes
    hidden = no
    list = no   # for v1.1+
}

namespace private {
    separator = /
    prefix = "mail-Archives/"
    location = mbox:~/mail-Archives
    inbox = no
    hidden = no
    list = yes
    subscriptions = yes
}

    Now when I open Outlook, I get nothing except the INBOX.  I can't
see anything else.  When I go into 'IMAP Folders' and hit refresh, I see
the INBOX file, and the tree for 'mail-Archives', but I can't see any
files (mailboxes) within that tree, so I can't subscribe to anything.
The 'mail/' namespace doesn't seem to exist since it doesn't show up at all.

    Checking Thunderbird, I can see and subscribe to anything in
'mail/', but like Outlook I can only see the tree in 'mail-Archives' but
I can't see the individual files (mailboxes) within the folders to be
able to subscribe to them.

> It's probably a good use of namespaces, although it would be simpler if
> you just put archives under ~/mail/Archives/.
    That was done for remote backup purposes.  This way we can backup
the user's ~mail/ folder every night, and the ~mail-Archives/ once a month.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.