[Dovecot] 2nd REPOST: mbox vs maildir

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Feb 18 20:06:51 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Well, clients can become confused a bit too easily. Try talking IMAP
> protocol directly: http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation
>
> After logging in, the important commands to try would be:
>
> a LIST "" *
> b LSUB "" *
> c SELECT mail-Archive/something-that-actually-exists
> d SUBSCRIBE mail-Archive/something-that-actually-exists
>
> Where does it fail?

    Ok, we're getting closer.  It failed when selecting a mailbox,
permission denied.  And I figured out why ... for some reason when the
user was cloned from the old server to this one, their -x bit didn't
stick for that mail-Archives/ folder.  Now that that's fixed, I *can*
see and *can* subscribe to the individual mailboxes within any of the
archived folders.

    But, there's a big difference between how Thunderbird sees things
and what Outlook sees, and I'm almost certain it's a problem with the
client:

    Thunderbird will see exactly what I have subscribed to, stuff in
mail/ and stuff in mail-Archives/.
    Outlook will *not* see mail/, at all.  And it *will* see
*everything* that's in mail-Archives/, whether I'm subscribed to it or
not, it shows up.  That's ... kind of annoying to say the least.