[Dovecot] enabling IMAP SORT and THREAD extensions

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Feb 21 16:51:42 EET 2010

On 02/21/2010 01:32 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> They're always enabled, there's nothing you can do about them. Of
> course, you need some IMAP client (webmail) that actually uses these
> extensions.

OK, thanks.

The reason I asked is that in the Squirrelmail docs:

http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-6.html#ss6.3

it says:

[...]

To find out if the IMAP server supports server-side sorting and
threading, telnet to it and ask:

$ telnet imapserver.example.com imap

* OK

1 capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS
1 OK CAPABILITY completed

The SORT and THREAD capabilities indicates that this server supports
these extensions. Next step is to configure SquirrelMail to use them.

[...]

If telnet into Dovecot on my server, it doesn't explicitly indicate SORT
and THREAD capabilities:

$ telnet localhost imap
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

Hence my confusion.

-Colin

--