[Dovecot] v2.0 IMAP Capabilities announcement

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 22 17:26:09 EET 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 11:59 +0000, Ed W wrote:
> > Hmm. That's too bad. I was hoping to avoid sending any unnecessary capabilities before login. Perhaps IDLE could be added there as an exception.
> >
>  From memory Outlook Express/Windows Mail requests capabilities before
> login (and never after login)?

I don't know about them, but I remember someone told me Outlook was
fine. The point anyway is that clients don't have to request anything,
the capability is pushed to them. There are two ways:

a) Clients that understand capability in resp-text-code:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5] hello localhost
1 login user pass
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA]
Logged in

b) Clients that don't understand them and issue CAPABILITY anyway (note
how the updated CAPABILITY is now sent in untagged CAPABILITY):

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5] hello localhost
1 capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
1 OK Capability completed.
2 login user pass
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA
2 OK Logged in