[Dovecot] body search very slow since upgrade from 1.0.15 to 1.2.10

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Thu Feb 25 08:10:31 EET 2010

On 02/25/2010 06:55 AM Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 25.2.2010, at 7.47, Pascal Volk wrote:
>> When the index should be up-to-date all the time (what's very important
>> (IMHO)), I'm asking myself: Why are there no fts plugins for the lda and
>> lmtp section? When the index would by updated on delivery, it should be
>> always up-to-date. Or did I overlook something?
>
> 2) Updating FTS indexes when user doesn't use them is a waste of CPU and space. Of course, this could be done in a similar way as caching. Update FTS for mailboxes where it's actually used.

Sure. But update the index only, when lda/lmtp finds a ".fts_NAME"
directory in a user's home directory. If there are no search indexes in
the user's home directories, there is no need to update or create theme.

> 3) Squat's updates would still be slow..

Drop the fts_squat plugin if it is too slow. :-P

>> Just a quick idea: How about a Xapian <http://xapian.org/> fts plugin?
> Go ahead ;)

Give me some time and a lot of C-knowledge …
But eh, where are all the C programmers? :-)

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: cafebabe.1005607 at localdomain.org