[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0b3 IDLE not advertised

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 13:43:04 EET 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:37:59 -0500
Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> articulated:

> On 2/26/2010 6:54 PM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> > The main difference seems to be that 1.2 advertises IDLE in
> > capabilities before authentication, but 2.0 does not:
>
> Correct... and according to Timo, this is proper IMAP protocol, so
> you'd probably be better off taking this up with the Profimail devs...

You are probably right; however, when reading RFC2177
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177> I noticed this:

<quote>
   The IDLE command may be used with any IMAP4 server implementation
   that returns "IDLE" as one of the supported capabilities to the
   CAPABILITY command.
</quote>

Then in RFC2060 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2060>

<quote>
6.1.1. CAPABILITY Command

   Arguments:  none

   Result:     OK - capability completed
               BAD - command unknown or arguments invalid

      The CAPABILITY command requests a listing of capabilities that the
      server supports.  The server MUST send a single untagged
      CAPABILITY response with "IMAP4rev1" as one of the listed
      capabilities before the (tagged) OK response.  This listing of
      capabilities is not dependent upon connection state or user.  It
      is therefore not necessary to issue a CAPABILITY command more than
      once in a connection.
</quote>

This is all probably incorrect since I am terrible at comprehending
RFCs anyway.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

On Monday mornings I am dedicated to the
proposition that all men are created jerks.

	H. Allen Smith, "Let the Crabgrass Grow"