[Dovecot] IMAP Folders Don't Make Sense

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Feb 27 20:19:49 EET 2010

Jerry put forth on 2/27/2010 9:54 AM:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:11:52 -0600
> Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> articulated:

>> Very small.  Manual client management.  No problems after the
>> migration.  If I complain, I'm sure I'll hear myself. ;)  The
>> migration I mentioned was my vanity server.  If I were supporting an
>> IMAP infrastructure at a $dayjob environment I would have never gone
>> this route.  And I probably wouldn't have been upgrading directly
>> from Exchange 5.5 (which was EOL'd in like 1999 or 2000) to Dovecot
>> 1.0.15.  ;)  I can't imagine an org that would have held onto Exch
>> 5.5 into 2009, given that service packs and hotfixes ceased around a
>> decade ago.
>
> January 31, 2006
> <http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/2007/support/lifecycle/changes.mspx>

Exchange 5.5 was released November 1997.

EOL schedule dictated that mainstream support ended in 2003.  Extended
support isn't worth the cost and most orgs upgrade rather than keep old, not
very well supported, M$ products around.  Extended support is customer
requested hotfixes and security updates.  Keep in mind these security
updates are prompted by customer request when they find a hole.  During
extended support, M$ is expending very few resources to support the EOL
product.  Thus, there are many security holes that go unnoticed.  For all
practical purposes for most customers, Exch 5.5 support effectively ended in
2003, 7 years ago.

--
Stan