[Dovecot] **OFF LIST** Re: body search very slow since upgrade from 1.0.15 to 1.2.10

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Feb 28 14:21:33 EET 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 21:04 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Looks like some input stream seeking optimizations are broken (when
> one input stream reads from another, which reads from another, ...). I
> already managed to fix the performance problem, but now it's
> corrupting saved mails sometimes. So a while longer to get it fully
> fixed :) And since it's a pretty big change, I'm not sure if I want to
> risk breaking v1.2 by changing it, so maybe it's v2.0 only.

Fixed now in v2.0 and optimized also conversion to uppercase:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/de2798fbbae6
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/23858ce6422e

After this, searching your spam mailbox goes from:

v1.2 OK Search completed (26.084 secs).

v2.0 OK Search completed (2.172 secs).

It's still slower than v1.0's 1.83 secs, but the increased slowness is
most likely because v1.0 didn't support case-insensitive unicode
searches.