[Dovecot] nested folders

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Sat Jan 2 13:54:07 EET 2010

On 01/02/2010 09:02 AM Jim Pazarena wrote:
> using both thunderbird and roundcube with dovecot IMAP, I can create
> all the folders I desire, but cannot create subfolders; I also cannot
> delete a folder once created.
>
> I get a very un-informative error message from each. Is there a special
> setting required to permit sub-folder creation? folder deletion?
>
> I've got 770 mail:mail virtual_user_home
>              770 mail:mail  mail_sub-directory
>                  770  mail:mail   .imap
>                  660  mail:mail   .subscriptions
>                       700 mail:mail  Drafts
>                       700 mail:mail  INBOX
>                       700 mail:mail  Junk
>                       700 mail:mail  Sent
>                       700 mail:mail  Trash
>
> Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

My suggestions:
    * show "a very un-informative error message from each"
    * paste dovecot -n output
    * play the game again - using telnet, e.g.:
	4 LIST "" *
	* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
	4 OK List completed.
	5 CREATE INBOX/sub
	5 OK Create completed.
	6 CREATE INBOX/sub/subsub
	6 OK Create completed.
	7 LIST "" *
	* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "INBOX"
	* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "INBOX/sub"
	* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/sub/subsub"
	7 OK List completed.
	8 DELETE INBOX/sub/subsub
	8 OK Delete completed.
	9 DELETE INBOX/sub