[Dovecot] architecture to handle 1000 messages per second?

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 16:54:23 EET 2010

> Hello,
>
> Actually, thousands of customers would send order emails to a system
> running postifx.  All orders end up in orders at example.com.  Then,
> another app fetches these emails via Dovecot (POP or IMAP), ideally at
> the rate of 1000 per second.
>
> I think it might be difficult to accomplish this via POP since I think
> Dovecot would have to lock the account while doing the POP downloads.
> This makes it difficult to have more than one app downloading at a
> time.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for  the explanation.

I would seriously consider delivering the incoming messages to a
script/program for further processing, instead of adding a POP3/IMAP layer.
Postfix is well suited for to do just that. I simply cannot come up with a
single good reason for "wasting" resources by stuffing an POP3/IMAP server
in there, especially when it's so easy to configure Postfix to deliver to a
command.

:o)
/Thomas