[Dovecot] Kernel warnings

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 3 23:54:28 EET 2010

On 3.1.2010, at 9.12, Thomas Zajic wrote:

> Hehe ... okay, so which one is it? :-) I don't even know what exactly
> to make of this warning - obviously, there may be a potential memory
> leak related to inotify and dovecot's imap process, but is it
>
> 1. a bug in the kernel that is triggered by something that dovecot's
>   inotify code does, or

Yes.

> 2. a bug in dovecot's imap that the kernel notices and warns about as
>   of 2.6.31 (but didn't notice and/or warn about in 2.6.30 and earlier)?

Userspace can't (shouldn't) cause kernel errors/warnings. Even if Dovecot did something wrong, I think it would still be a kernel bug if it logged a warning about it. And this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, so I don't think Dovecot does anything wrong.

> Is there anything related I should/could tune in /proc/sys/fs/inotify?

Probably not. I'd ask about this in your distro or kernel mailing list.