[Dovecot] Dovecot not delivering mail.

Anthony Nedland anthony.nedland at baldwin-telecom.net
Tue Jan 5 16:26:19 EET 2010

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2010-01-05 7:05 AM, Thomas Wolf wrote:
>
>> Charles Marcus schrieb:
>>
>>> Question: if you use an alternate location for the config file, and
>>> start dovecot with that config file properly, does plain 'dovecot -n'
>>> output what is in the config file that is in use? Or the one in the
>>> default location?
>>>

>> It's the default location:
>>
>> tw at mail2:~$ pgrep -lf dovecot
>> 28900 /usr/sbin/dovecot -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf
>> 28901 dovecot-auth
>> tw at mail2:~$ dovecot -n
>> # 1.1.11: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> Error: Can't open configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: No such
>> file or directory
>> Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> tw at mail2:~$
>>

> Ouch... that adds a big wrinkle to troubleshooting, especially if a file
> *does* exist at the default location...

Ok I have a new development.
When I try to send to a user in my domain from a domain other than my
own I get an error.

For example, I sent to duane at baldtel.com from an external address. The
server returned the error 'user duane does not exist' in the form of an
undeliverable bounce back email.

When I configure outlook for the user and when I log in on telnet, I
have to use duane at baldtel.com as the user to log into the server. I
assume this means that the username is actually 'duane at baldtel.com'
rather than duane. I know that when I usually set up pop3 in outlook
with other servers I would just put the part before the @ on the email
into the server information field (user/pass). This means that with
other servers the username actually would have been duane usually.

I only get this message back when sending from another server. When I
send from my server, the email appears to have gone out. It just never
arrives.