[Dovecot] Sorting in IMAP list command?

Ronald Johnson ronald.johnson at disneyanimation.com
Wed Jan 6 01:55:12 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 5.1.2010, at 3.19, Ronald Johnson wrote:
>
>> I'm running Dovecot 1.2.9 and have noticed the IMAP list command does not appear to send a sorted list of folders with list command.
>>

> I thought all IMAP clients did the sorting internally. So yeah, I haven't added extra unnecessary code for it. Although I think if you're using Maildir (with Maildir++ layout) it'll get sorted.

Hi Timo,

Thanks for the info. I think most clients do sorting, but it seems
Smartsieve doesn't. I guess since it is Cyrus-centric, it must assume
the list is already pre-sorted from Cyrus so it just uses a PHP
imap-list method to get the list of folders. Using Dovecot with
Smartsieve shows the unsorted folder list.

I tried setting the LAYOUT=maildir++ option, but still don't get a
sorted list. I'll try with a new account, but otherwise I can just
modify Smartsieve to sort the returned list.

Cheers,
Ron