[Dovecot] First time Dovecot user, really impressed so far. What is best IMAP enabled webmail package to go with Dovecot?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Jan 6 18:31:18 EET 2010

David Abrahams put forth on 1/5/2010 1:44 PM:
> At Mon, 4 Jan 2010 22:08:22 +0100,
> Egbert Jan van den Bussche wrote:
>>
>> Welcome!
>> Have a look at RoundCube webmail. I used to use squirrelmail but had the
>> same issues as you. RoundCube is very nice.
>
> I second that emotion

After a bit of researching, I've decided to go with Roundcube.  However, my
Linux distribution doesn't have a standard package of Roundcube, only a backport
of Roundcube, version 0.2.2.

Normally I really prefer to stick with distro packages for my application needs,
for a variety of reasons, mainly easy installation of security updates and
dependency resolution.

Aptitude handles dependencies very well, so I'd really like to go with the
Debian backport of Roundcube 2.2, **unless** there are majorly needed
functionality upgrades or major bug fixes in the 0.3.1 available directly from
the roundcube.net download section.

What will I be missing if I go with the Debian 0.2.2 backport instead of the
current 0.3.1?  Are there any other Debian users here who have recommendations
or advice?  Are there any installation gotchas via either the backport method or
the straight install method via the roundcube.net files?

Thanks for any/all advice.

--
Stan