[Dovecot] (BUG REPORT) sieve 0.1.14: vacation encodes Subject twice

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu Jan 7 11:40:46 EET 2010

Christian Rohmann wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> allow me to bump this notice about a possible plain bug in the sieve
> filter conversion.

Oh, sorry, this one got a bit backlogged.

>> According to RFC5230 section 4.3 this shouldn't happen:
>>
>>    The ":subject" parameter specifies a subject line to attach to any
>>    vacation response that is generated.  UTF-8 characters can be used in
>>    the string argument; implementations MUST convert the string to
>>    [RFC2047] encoded words if and only if non-ASCII characters are
>>    present.  Implementations MUST generate an appropriate default
>>    subject line as specified below if no :subject parameter is
>>    specified.
>>
>> If I understand this right, sieve should do the RFC2047 encoding only
>> if the string is non-ASCII.  But the RFC2047 encoded string is already
>> ASCII, so it should not be encoded a second time.

Yes, that seems to be the intended behavior.

>> I just compared this with sieve 0.1.13, which behaves different: It
>> does not encode the Subject header at all.  As long as the managesieve
>> client (in our situation Horde/IMP) encodes the subject, everything
>> works correct, while we run into trouble with 0.1.14.

Timo and I first introduced header encoding in that last version. Before
that, no attempt to encode the header was made at all.

Timo, are you going to change this in Dovecot or should I implement the
non-ASCII-only check in Sieve?

Regards,

Stephan