[Dovecot] auth, partially resolved

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu Jan 7 15:23:20 EET 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:

> If on the other hand, I do the same check on the Horde application, It comes back with the following :

>    * Trying protocol imap/notls, Port 143:
>
>          SUCCESS - INBOX has 0 messages (0 new 0 recent)
>
>    * Trying protocol imap/ssl, Port 993:
>
>          ERROR - The server returned the following error message:
>
>          SECURITY PROBLEM: insecure server advertised AUTH=PLAIN[SERVERBUG] Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more
>          information. [2010-01-05 13:30:12]Certificate failure for localhost: self signed certificate:
>          /C=GR/ST=Kerkyra/L=Kerkyra/O=Tourist Enterprizes/OU=IMAP
>          server/CN=webmail.domain.gr/emailAddress=postmaster at webmail.domain.gr

You access the cert of webmail.domain.gr via a host named localhost.
If Horde runs on the same host, just disable SSL :-)

>    * Trying protocol imap/ssl/novalidate-cert, Port 993:
>
>          SUCCESS - INBOX has 0 messages (0 new 0 recent)
>
>    * Trying protocol imap/tls/novalidate-cert, Port 143:
>
>          SUCCESS - INBOX has 0 messages (0 new 0 recent)

There is missing:

imap/tls, Port 143

but I suppose it will bark as well.

Actually, it looks like a Dovecot message ("Refer to server log for more
information"), but then the error message should be in the log for the
openssl test as well, I guess.

Do you have the SSL cert in the cert store of OpenSSL, usually
/etc/ssl/certs ? That way you trust the cert. If Horde barks on the cert,
this should help (first part of error message: "PROBLEM: insecure server
advertised").

Regards,

- --
Steffen Kaiser