[Dovecot] Dovecot Quota Problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 12 16:36:56 EET 2010

On 5.1.2010, at 18.59, Ken Price wrote:

> I'm using Dovecot LDA with Exim.  I'm also using Dictionary Quotas in a
> MySQL database.  I want to avoid backscatter completely, so I set
> "quota_full_tempfail = yes" and handle quota checking in the Exim RCPT ACL
> during the SMTP session.  The problem lies in the case where a user's
> account is nearly full.  Smaller messages will continue to come through,
> but a larger message would get queued for retry since it will push the
> account over quota.  I need Dovecot's quota to exhibit the same behavior as
> Exim's "quota_is_inclusive=false".

If backscatter is the only reason, would it work simply to keep quota_full_tempfail=no and use -e option for deliver? Then configure Exim to delay replying to to DATA command until deliver is finished. I guess the main problem with this is increased load when tons of mails are being delivered at the same time..