[Dovecot] antispam plugin

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Thu Jan 14 18:00:32 EET 2010

Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> First off, I have to say I really like the antispam plugin.  I am
> running a (relatively) new freebsd 8.0 server with
> postfix/dovecot/dspam/squirrelmail and it works great.  Create a SPAM
> folder and tell the dovecot antispam plugin to use INBOX.SPAM as the
> spam folder and drag messages from INBOX to the spam folder and they are
> trained  as spam.  Here is the problem though: after training dspam for
> a couple of weeks, I had a couple hundred messages in the SPAM folder,
> so I selected them and hit the DELETE button and they were gone.  Except
> they weren't.  I had forgotten that by default squirrelmail moves
> deleted messages to a Trash folder under INBOX.  So the messages were
> moved out of the SPAM folder, resulting in them being retrained as ham.
> Oops :(  I then hit the purge link in squirrelmail and the messages were
> forever gone, so I couldn't rectify my gaffe.  I have temporarily
> reconfigured squirrelmail to delete messages outright rather than save
> them in the Trash folder, but I don't like that as a long-term
> solution.  What occurred to me is this: the current algorithm is: if
> message moves from * => SPAM, it is trained as spam, if it moves from
> SPAM => *, it is trained as ham.  It would be nice if you could
> elaborate on that such that the ham rule was "if message moves from SPAM
> to X, it is ham" (and in my case, I would defined X as INBOX.  Thoughts?

There is also a plugin setting that defines your Trash folder, which is
meant to fix the issue you're seeing (excluding junk->trash moving from
retraining).

# semicolon-separated list of Trash folders (default unset i.e. none)
# antispam_trash =
# antispam_trash = trash;Trash;Deleted Items; Deleted Messages

--
Regards,
	Tom