[Dovecot] Adding support for a new storage format - plugin?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Jan 18 08:23:48 EET 2010

Hi,

I've spent a little bit of time looking at the dovecot source (from the
unstable 2.0 development tree), and I think I'm starting to get it together...

Background:
I'm interested in dovecot to provide IMAP access to an existing database
backed server store (http://www.openchange.org for more details). The goal is
to provide parallel access using either IMAP or the exchange RPC protocol.

If I understand this stuff:
* I can potentially provide access to the store using a plugin. It looks like
the virtual mailbox plugin is a potential example here.
* I may need to also provide an authentication plugin (not sure whether I can
just re-use the existing ldap backend - quite possibly a useful option in my
scenario)
* I probably can't use the existing SQL code, since it uses its own schema.
* I may need to provide some locking to ensure things are always in a
consistent state for both IMAP and exchange RPC.

Comments? Suggestions?

Brad