[Dovecot] Strange permission problem with Maildir

tkin1t3asy tkin1t3asy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 23:23:58 EET 2010

I have this very strange problem with Dovecot spitting out a file permissions
error but further testing seems to show it being an inaccurate message.

POP3(username): maildir: data ~/Maildir
POP3(username): maildir++: root =/home/ssb201/Maildir, index=, control=,
inbox=/home/ssb201/Maildir
POP3(username): stat(/home/username/Maildir/tmp) failed: Permission denied
(euid=500(username) egid=500(username) missing +x perm:
/home/username/Maildir)
POP3(username): Couldn't open INBOX...

as you can see below the permissions are correct:

root at host:/home/username# ls -al Maildir/
total 744
drwx------  8 username username    220 2010-01-13 06:27 .
drwxr-xr-x 18 username username     80 2010-01-13 06:14 ..
drwx------  2 username username    108480 2010-01-14 20:56 cur
-rw-------  1 username username    65272 2010-01-14 20:56 dovecot.index
-rw-------  1 username username    382976 2010-01-14 20:56
dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------  1 username username    6836 2010-01-14 20:56 dovecot.index.log
-rw-------  1 username username    309472 2010-01-14 20:56 dovecot-uidlist
-rw-------  1 username username    8 2010-01-14 20:56 dovecot-uidvalidity
-rw-------  1 username username    0 2010-01-14 20:56
dovecot-uidvalidity.4a090e80
drwx------  2 username username    40 2010-01-14 20:56 new
drwx------  2 username username    40 2010-01-14 20:56 tmp

if I rename ~/Maildir to ~/Maildir.orig and let dovecot create a new
directory it works fine with no errors.

root at host:/home/username# ls -al Maildir
total 28
drwx------  5 username username    220 2010-01-14 21:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 username username    100 2010-01-14 21:19 ..
drwx------  2 username username    40 2010-01-14 21:19 cur
-rw-------  1 username username    16384 2010-01-14 21:19
dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------  1 username username    468 2010-01-14 21:19 dovecot.index.log
-rw-------  1 username username    70 2010-01-14 21:19 dovecot-uidlist
-rw-------  1 username username    8 2010-01-14 21:19 dovecot-uidvalidity
-rw-------  1 username username    0 2010-01-14 21:19
dovecot-uidvalidity.4b4f8a6e
drwx------  2 username username    60 2010-01-14 21:19 new
drwx------  2 username username    40 2010-01-14 21:19 tmp

If I rename the newly created ~/Maildir to ~/Maildir.new, and rename
~/Maildir.orig to ~/Maildir the original directory works now with no "+x
perm" error. This would seem to imply that dovecot is modifying something,
somewhere else on the system when it creates the mail directory. What could
this be?