[Dovecot] Need simplest method for providing alternate mail location

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Jan 20 20:18:12 EET 2010

I am looking to migrate my DC V1.2 from mbox to maildir format....and
want to do this in stages, user group by user group rather than in one
horrendous fell swoop....since I'd rather fell things didn't happen.

Since I'm running sendmail/procmail, I can change the ~/.procmailrc to
change the writing of the INBOX, but the IMAP mail location access info
is knottier when one wants to do things a bit at a time.

Setting aside for now the matter of converting existing folders,  I will
be moving:
= from a mbox setup with the INBOX in /var/spool/mail/<userid> and the
folders in ~/mail
= to both in ~/Maildir (unless someone has better ideas)
It seems that one could:
1) Change the namespaces in the client...but this is not feasible,
because it would means going out to all my 4000+ users desktop and
modifying them.
2) Having some sort of db to tell DC it a mail_userdb extra field and
override the mail_location in dovecot.conf
3) Perhaps waiting for DC v2.0 which will have this architected in.

A) Is there any sense the v2.0 will be coming Real Soon Now and will
fulfill #3?
B) What's the simplest way to implement #2?  I would really rather not
install MySQL on my mail server and have all the overhead of installing
and managing it when all I need it for is a temporary resource to tell
DC where things are until the switchover is complete and Maildir is the
default.  Is it feasible to do this with an additional flat file in the
/etc/passwd mode with some extra fields tacked on that is *only* used
for mail location info?  Or some other and simple way?

My apologies if this is a Stupid Question.............

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly,
neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors.