[Dovecot] Modifying the underlying maildir externally (webmail, replication)

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Wed Jan 20 22:21:08 EET 2010

Hello,

I have a setup where there are multiple maildir users, one of them being
the pop/imap server itself, the others are for example a maildir capable
webmail and message replication.

I would like to evaluate Dovecot, but I wonder how would its binary
indexes and logs fit into this picture.

After running through http://wiki.dovecot.org/IndexFiles I'm not sure
how well would Dovecot work with other programs modifying the maildirs
(adding, deleting, moving messages, folders etc).
The "Main index" section says "The index file is synchronized against
mailbox only if the syncing information changes.", where syncing
information consists or cur and new directories' timestamps.
Does that mean I am safe there?

The cache file is hopefully just a cache, so it won't contain
information from messages which are inserted or moved by an external
program, and I assume Dovecot fetches the message lists and other
information from the main index, which seems to be OK.

The transaction log is for the main index, so if the latter is OK, the
former should be OK too.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir talks about MUAs and there
nothing scary can be found, except for some temporary conditions, where
the changes won't propagate to Dovecot in real time, but it's OK.

Are the above right, and can Dovecot use its indexes and caches safely
with others using the same maildirs?

Thanks,