[Dovecot] feature question: local delivery from SMTP

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Fri Jan 22 12:48:08 EET 2010

Veiko Kukk escreveu:

>> Or can it receive
>> SMTP directly if there is no forwarding to do?  What about spam/virus
>> filtering in that case?
>
> Dovecot has nothing to do with smtp. You need MTA like postfix or exim
> to deliver mail to mbox/maildir. Then dovecot can show those mailboxes
> to client.

    just a small correction .... dovecot has its own delivery agent,
which means it (dovecot) can handle the 'deliver mail to maildir' part.
I'm not sure about mailbox, but maildir i'm sure dovecot delivery agent
can handle.

    anyway, you'll still need an MTA to collect data from the network
(via SMTP) and then forward it to dovecot delivery agent.

    dovecot is not an MTA so it cannot talk SMTP.

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues

	gertrudes at solutti.com.br