[Dovecot] quick question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 22 19:31:21 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 13:23 -0400, Cor Bosman wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2010, at 1:19 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 19:16 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >> 2) Long term solution will be for Dovecot to not use NFS server for
> >> inter-process communication, but instead connect to other Dovecot
> >> servers directly via network.
> >
> > Actually not "NFS server", but "filesystem". So this would be done even
> > when not using NFS.
> >

> Is this the situation we discussed once where a dovecot instance becomes a proxy if it detects that a user should be on a different server?

No, that was my 1) plan :) And this is already possible with
proxy_maybe: http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy

> The one thing I remember sorta missing from that idea at the time was a fallback to local spool if the other dovecot server isnt available.

Right. This still isn't supported. Also it's not really the safest
solution either, because it could place user's connections to different
servers due to some temporary problems. Or if primary has failed, user
has connections on secondary server, primary comes back up, now new
connections go to primary and old connections haven't been killed from
secondary so you'll potentially get corruption.

Better would be to have some kind of a database that externally monitors
what servers are up and where users currently have connections, and
based on that decide where to redirect a new connection. Although that's
also slightly racy unless done carefully.