[Dovecot] quick question

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 22 22:19:57 EET 2010

On 01/22/2010 12:16 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Looking at the problems with people using NFS it's pretty clear that this
> solution just isn't going to work properly.

Actually, considering the amount of people and servers we're throwing at
it, I think that it's dealing with it pretty well. I'm sure there are
always more tweaks and enhancements that can be done, but look at how
much better 1.2 is over 1.0 releases. it's definitely not "broken," just
maybe not quite production ready as it could be. Honestly, at this point
my users are very happy with the speed increase and as long as their
imap process isn't dying they don't seem to notice the behind the scenes
corruption because of the self healing code.

> But then again, Dovecot is the only (free) IMAP server that even
> attempts to support this kind of behavior. Or sure, Courier does too,
> but disabling index files on Dovecot should get the same stability.

By the way, I didn't want to give the impression that we were unhappy
with the product, rather I think what you've accomplished with dovecot
is great even by non-free enterprise standards, not to mention the level
of support you've given us has been excellent and I appreciate it
greatly. It was a clear choice for us over courier once NFS support
became a reality. Loads on the exact same hardware dropped from an
average of 5 to 0.5, quite amazing, not to mention the speed benefit of
the indexes. Our users with extremely large Maildir's were very satisfied.

> I see only two proper solutions:
>
> 1) Change your architecture so that all mail accesses to a specific user
> go through a single server. Install Dovecot proxy so all IMAP/POP3
> connections go through it to the correct server.

We've discussed this internally and are still considering layer7
username balancing as a possibility, but I haven't worked too much on
the specifics yet. We've only been running for two months on dovecot, so
we wanted to give it some burn in time and see how things progressed.
Now that the core dumps are fixed, I think we might be able to live with
the corruption for awhile. The only user visible issue that I was aware
of was the the users' mailbox disappearing when the processes died, but
since that's not happening any more I'll have to see if anyone notices
the corruption.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going over some of the ideas you
suggested and we'll be thinking about long term solutions.

--
David Halik
dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu