[Dovecot] mailbox format w/ separate headers/data

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 22 23:12:40 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 16:09 -0500, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On January 22, 2010 11:05:22 PM +0200 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> > Dunno about zfs, but I've heard that at least in one NetApp installation
> > deduplication was way too heavyweight.
>
> zfs dedup is pretty resources intensive -- for writes.  For mail I
> suspect reads overwhelm writes?

I don't have any evidence, but my logic goes like: Mail is written to
disk once. Most users use a single client, which downloads the message
once. Or maybe they're using webmail, and they read the same message
approximately once (or maybe max. 1.1 times). In both cases read:write
is about 1:1.

Index files are of course a different thing. They're read a lot more
often. But dedup doesn't help with them.