[Dovecot] maildir on zfs (was: mailbox format w/ separate headers/data)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 23 04:31:08 EET 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 9:22 PM, Frank Cusack wrote:
>> but I wonder if anyone here is running lots of Maildirs on zfs?
>
> When you say "lots of Maildirs" I assume you mean filesystem-per-user?
> You can of course use "lots of Maildirs" yet have only a single zfs
> filesystem but that doesn't seem to me to be worth questioning.
>
> I am running that way but it's less than 100 users so probably not
> what
> you would consider "lots".

   I'm in the same usage range for my ZFS-backed mail server.

>> I'd seen some comments here in the past that zfs+maildirs = bad.
>
> I can't imagine why that would be the case.  There are some problem
> loads for zfs (zfs-backed NFS writes, e.g.) but why maildir would be
> particularly singled out I wouldn't know.

   I'm doing everything on ZFS now (database loads, web services,
etc) and will never go back to UFS. (or ext3, etc)  Zero problems,
with anything, ever.

> For filesystem-per-user, if by "lots" you mean 1000 or 1000s then you
> have the problem that it takes forever to mount all of those
> filesytems
> on reboot.  That's not a maildir-specific problem though.

   I'm running filesystem-per-domain; I've found that's a good way to
do it for my situation.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire