[Dovecot] pop3+leave messages on server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 24 23:55:28 EET 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 23:57 +0100, Papp Tamás wrote:

> pop3_reuse_xuidl(pop3): yes

If a mail has X-UIDL: header it's used. Is it possible that some mails
have it, and that's the reason the UIDL changed?

> > there are errors. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging
> >

> Actually I've juest enabled all debugging related options, except
> password. I'm afraid, there will be too much messages.

Errors are logged regardless of any debugging options. And the debugging
options don't really help in detecting these kind of problems.

> > 2) Did you use the courier migration script so that the UIDLs got
> > converted to Dovecot? If not, maybe Outlook got confused because the
> > UIDLs changed, and fixing it would require recreating the Outlook
> > account or something..
> >

> No, there was no conversation.
> I was thinking about recreating the account, but it's not possible right
> now. It will be actual in 1-2 weeks.
>
> Anyway, even if it help, there is an error, which does not happen all
> the time, still I think it's server related.

I think it's unlikely. Outlook is known to have had lots of problems
with POP3 + leave mail on server..

> > 3) Outlook just doesn't like the new UIDLs and messes up itself. I think
> > Courier usually uses maildir filenames as UIDLs, you could have kept
> > doing that with pop3_uidl_format=%f. But changing it now would cause
> > users to redownload everything again.. With v1.2.5+ you could use
> > pop3_save_uidl=yes to make it possible to change UIDLs on the fly.
> >

> Are you sure, it can be enabled on the fly and if I use it, the mail
> won't be donwload again after changing the uidl format?

User needs to have been logged in while still running with older uidl
format, so that the UIDLs get written to dovecot-uidlist file. After
that they don't change when you change pop3_uidl_format.