[Dovecot] Proxying to a DNS Name

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 25 20:53:37 EET 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 13:58 +0100, Andreas Schulze wrote:
> Hello,
>
> reading the wiki I found
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy?highlight=(no DNS resolving)
>
> I have a setup where the destination of a proxyconnection is an DNS name.
> Is there a technical reason which currently require host= to be an IP address ?

Yeah. DNS lookups are blocking, so whenever DNS server can't be reached,
the lookups start hanging and admins start wondering why Dovecot is just
hanging.

Solutions would be:

a) Assume "the hang never happens" and just do the blocking lookups.

b) Get some async DNS library from somewhere.

c) With v2.0 there could be a separate dns lookup processes that do
blocking lookups, but since the caller processes would be doing async
lookups they could report errors after a couple of seconds of waiting.

Hmm. Actually I think I like c).