[Dovecot] index location

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 28 22:59:50 EET 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 12:55 -0800, Dave Brenner wrote:
> On 1/27/2010 1:25 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > Did you read http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces
>
> I've been tinkering with it and have not yet gotten it to do exactly
> what I want.  Adding the sample namespaces for UW backward compatibility
> causes the client to show the full ~/mail path in the subscribed folder
> pick list.  Plus, now my autocreate rules, which use paths like
> ~/mail/Spam and ~/mail/Trash, are causing new folders to be created in
> ~/, e.g. ~/Spam.  So, I end up with ~/Spam and ~/mail/Spam.  Even if I
> clear the home level stuff out of .mailboxlist (we rebuilt) and delete
> the actual folders, they come right back on first login.  So, I think
> autocreate is confused by the namespaces.

The idea is that you should make everything work with the default
prefix="" namespace and mail_location=mbox:~/mail. So your subscriptions
should have e.g. "Spam" without prefix. Your autocreate rules should
have "Spam" without prefix. After all that works properly, you create
the compatibility namespaces that are used only by the clients that have
already explicitly configured them.