[Dovecot] Anyone successfully setup Continous Backup of mailboxes using rsync ?

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Fri Jan 29 09:58:27 EET 2010

> The main potential problem with that is that if a message's flag is
> changed, the filename changes so it's now stored twice in the backup
> server. So when restoring mails, be sure not to restore duplicates.

I use the --fuzzy flag to handle the renaming issue.  Here's my crontab
entry on the machine holding the backup:
 0 * * * * rsync --archive --fuzzy --delete-after imapserver:Maildir .

As you can see I only sync once an hour.  I don't have enough email
traffic to justify doing it continously.

The --delete-after is so rsync won't delete files that have been removed
on the source, before figuring out that a file has been renamed and not
been deleted.