[Dovecot] dovecot auth feature request

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 29 19:11:59 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 12:01 -0500, Frank Cusack wrote:
> when i try to run dovecot for SASL support only, with literally just
> this configuration:
>
> protocols = none
> ssl = no

I suppose you didn't mean to include "ssl=no" above?

> Error: ssl_cert_file: Can't use /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem: No such file or
> directory
>
> Since, in this configuration, SSL doesn't have meaning, dovecot shouldn't
> be looking for any cert file.  Easily fixed with "ssl = no" but  that
> shouldn't be required.

This is actually even worse currently in v2.0, because I haven't figured
out a way to solve it nicely. There you can have:

ssl = no
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem

And it'll still complain that it can't read the dovecot.pem file. That's
because it now takes the actual certificate string, and "<" is a generic
way to tell doveconf to read value from a file. And I'd hate to add some
special code to doveconf that says "if this setting is "no", then ignore
failures in settings x, y, z".

I guess the reason I'm telling you this is because I don't really want
to add something to v1.2 that'll just go away in v2.0.