[Dovecot] Want to have some users with Maildir, some with mbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 29 23:21:56 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 16:04 -0500, Stewart Dean wrote:
> Questions:
> 1) What does explicitly specifying MAIL this way override?  The
> dovecot.conf mail_location variable?

Yes.

> 2) My mail_location var is defined as:
>
> mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/dcindx/%u
>
> and my prospective maildir INBOX and mail folder root is to be
> ~/Maildir.  So would I change the above to:

Yes.

> > if [ -d $HOME/Maildir ]; then
> >   export MAIL=maildir:$HOME/Maildir:INDEX=/var/dcindx/$USER
> > else
> >   export MAIL=mbox:$HOME/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/$USER:
> > INDEX=/var/dcindx/$USER
> > fi

Although the "else" part is unnecessary, since it's the default anyway.

> Question 3:  When converting existing users from mbox to maildir, should
> I delete the index contents?

They'll be created into different directories. mbox is in .imap/ dirs,
while Maildir doesn't use it. So you can delete the .imap/ dirs
afterwards from wasting space.

BTW. Are you also using a script that preserves IMAP UIDs? Otherwise
IMAP clients will re-download all the mail.