[Dovecot] Anyone successfully setup Continous Backup of mailboxes using rsync ?

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Sun Jan 31 22:45:12 EET 2010

On January 31, 2010 9:04:12 PM +0100 Steinar Bang <sb at dod.no> wrote:

>>     rsync -a --delete $i ${PATHTOSAFEPLACE}/$(date +%u)/${i}/
>
> The downside to not using --fuzzy, is that the entire article is
> transferred again if a message names changes slightly (ie. if we're
> talking maildir here), as a result of status change.

zfs really shines here.  Only the filename change would be transmitted.

And if you're using opensolaris you can add in AVS to get real time
continous synchronous replication if you want.  (I would also consider
having the MTA duplicate the mail to a 2nd mail server and use another
method to synchronize deletions and flag changes.)

-frank